Sunday, September 29, 2013

Practicing Awareness of Microagressions

When I was a teenager, I attended an FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) Camp in Black Mountain, North Carolina. This camp was amazing because I met girls from different parts of the U.S. and they were all of different cultural backgrounds. I experienced my first microagression and I didn’t even know it. A white girl that stayed in my dorm room asked me if I knew how to braid hair in corn rows, and when I told her no I didn’t she was upset and she mentioned that I should know how to braid hair in corn rows because that’s what my people do. When she made the comment, I didn’t think anything of it, I just ignored her and went on my way. Now, that I think about it, I feel like I should have been upset because she assumes that because I am an African American that I know how to braid hair. Her comment to me was very hurtful and I could have reacted in a way to where I could have said something to insult her culture but I didn’t. Being targeted of a microagression is a learning experience and I know what I should think before I speak so I wouldn’t offend anyone.  As an educator, I believe it’s important for me to educate not only just children and families, but my own family on the awareness of microagressions so these experiences don’t happen much.

No comments:

Post a Comment