Thursday, January 31, 2013

Consequences of Stress on Children's Development

There are many common stressors that can affect a child in their development. Stessors like abuse, natural disasters, war, poverty, hunger, disease, violence  and many more environmental related factors.   A lot of these factors happen everyday in a child's life all over the world. When I was a little girl my father was in the Military and we were stationed in Okinawa, Japan (in the 1980's). We lived in Japan for 4 years and we have experienced a couple of Earthquakes there. My older brother was actually at school when one of the earthquakes happened. He was in his Elementary class playing number munchers and that's when his teacher told him that there was an earthquake. I was around 2 years old when this happened so I don't remember too much of what happened. Eventhough the earthquake happened in Japan during our stay we were just lucky enough to not be affected by it.

On January 12, 2010 a 7.0 magnitude Earthquake struck Haiti. This earthquake has killed many people as well as left a lot of children homeless and without families. During the times of Natural Disasters this puts a lot of stress on children because of the aftershock of the incident. Children are afraid, they are wanting to know where their families are and etc. It's a lot of pressure on them. As an educator no matter what the situation a child may be dealing with from various stressors we have to know how to be able to nurture the child in their time of need. Below is a link of pictures from the Earthquake in Haiti.

I looked at this website and when I viewed the pictures of the children it made me think about a lot. What are your thoughts?

Jasmyn A.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/alleyes/content/haiti-earthquake-children-31-images

3 comments:

  1. Jasmyn,
    All of those pictures were just heartbreaking. That must have been so devastating for all of those children, especially the orphans. I have experienced a lot of earthquakes living in California but thankfully nothing close to that. My brother-in-law went to Haiti shortly after the earthquake and spent a week there, volunteering.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What came to my mind in viewing your pictures was Humanity at its best. I think you can plan for a natural disaster, but nothing can really prepare you for the aftermath. However, people coming together from everywhere to help and support one another makes all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for responding to my post. looking through those photos from the earthquake in Haiti made me think about a lot. Till this very day I am still wondering about those children and how their life is going.

    ReplyDelete